Saturday, November 1, 2008

Never Though I'd Say This...

If anyone knows my parents they would understand it when I say that they are as different as night and day when it comes to exercising.

My memories of my childhood are fondly remembered riding my bike along with my Dad as he ran several miles. And ever since I can remember he has been physically active in some way.

My mom is a different story. As long as I can remember she has jokingly stated that "exercise" is a four-letter word. My mom is also one of those blessed individuals that is tall and slender no matter her weight. (She makes me sick!)

As a kid I was always active. I was one of those neighborhood kids that all the lifeguards at the local pools knew by name. I loved being outside playing along the bayou near my house, climbing trees or going and playing at the park. When I went to youth night at my church I always was involved with the volleyball or basketball teams. I was on the neighborhood swim team every summer.

When I got to college the only physical activity I got in was walking all over campus between classes or a few of the PE classes you were required to take.

When I was diagnosed the doctors, nutritionists, and diabetes educators all preached and talked about how important exercise was for me in helping me control my disease. Not even that was motivation enough for me to get off my butt and do something. Neither was the fact that I ended up the heaviest out of all 4 women in my family and the knowledge of how it affected my self-image wasn't enough to do anything about it.

I am now happy to say that I am now taking more after my Dad when it comes to exercising. It is a fact that people with Diabetes often struggle with depression. Exercising is my way of feeling better about how I am ha.ndling my disease, as well as how I feel about life in general. I was never ever a running person, but now I am and I love it. It is my release of stress and guilt if I splurge on something tasty. It is a great feeling of accomplishment. It is knowing that I can take time out of my busy life to do something for myself. It is all of the above and I am loving it!

I never thought that I would say that I actually like exercising. It was always something I did without even realizing it. Now it is something that I have to find time to do in my schedule in order to take care of myself. So, YAY FOR EXERCISE!

No comments: