Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Getting My "Move" On..

When I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago I was so overwhelmed with the onslaught of information thrown my way that when the part that the "professionals" explained to me about complications seems more like a blur than anything else. All I really remember about complications is that it added to the fear and devastation I felt. So it was quickly forgotten or put on the back burner when it came to how I took care of myself. I went through denial, ate what I wanted while trying to compensate with insulin all the time. A couple years passed and the A1C's started climbing higher and higher. Every 3 months I swore up and down that I would change my eating habits. But that never happened. I would get frustrated with myself for giving in to eating the things that I shouldn't or knew would make me sick but it didn't do a damn thing to my psyche. My endocrinologist always tried to explain the complications that would occur if I didn't start taking care of myself now, but even that wasn't the dynamite under my butt to spring me in to action. Then something scary happened. When one of my worst A1C's ever came back and I had the "tickle" test on my feet to test for nerve damage, the doctor told me that I had lost 40% of the feeling in my feet! That was the first thing to scare me out of my wits, but that scare still wasn't the much needed dynamite. Admittedly, the last 1 1/2 to 2 years haven't been real pretty with my A1C's. Then my last appointment happened. Not only were my feet not feeling everything, but my cholesterol was too high, my A1C was high, and my triglycerides were elevated. That was the last straw, or should I say the match to spark the explosion of emotions and motivation in to me taking action. That scared the daylights out of me. I was also told yet again that if I exercised, took my insulin like I should, and ate better, that I could reverse all the bad things that were showing up in my blood tests as well as any possible future complications.

So here I sit.... thankful for dynamite.

No comments: